Thursday, June 18, 2009

Your own arguement

My opinion goes both ways, only because I too am guilty of file sharing. I get my music now from ITunes and or other people’s iPods. So it’s cut down a lot based on not exactly knowing where or how my peers may have received their music. Knowing more about the music industry I would agree with the courts. I wouldn’t want any of my materials to be stolen either especially if my compensation was being hindered. As an artist I would completely understand by how much work you put into your materials, how much money you’ve invested, and how much time was put in as well. On the other hand I wouldn’t mind as much if my materials were being shared as an up and coming artist. I would want my music to travel into as many ears as possible and get recognition. That’s how artists grow and become popular. It’s a catch 22 but I think at the end it pays back. Artist wants their music to be heard and played as many times and however it can be. For example, artists are practically throwing their materials for FREE at DJ’s and radio stations to get as much play as possible. Whether it is a DJ to play at a club or to have them add it on their mix tapes which the DJ would profit or to have their song put in rotation from the radio station. Also as for us “users’ to me, economics comes into place. I don’t have the money to dump into all albums that I’d like to buy, and if I wanted to check out and listen to it first to decide whether or not I want to buy it then that’s an easy way to do so. By then I already have the album. I know this sounds bias but there are certain artists that I know ill like so ill go ahead and buy the album at the same time supporting. If a friend wanted that album as well, I’d easily burn it with no hesitation. It is a chunk of money that is being loss but comparing to the amount of money that they are still receiving from people that do buy, endorsements, merchandise, concerts, tours etc... I wouldn’t think that it’s that big of a deal only for the simple fact that it’s not going to stop and there isn’t anything that you can do about it. It’s almost looked at as free advertising because your music is going around.

“The music industry suggested that iPods have a substantial and legitimate commercial use in contrast to Grokster, to which Souter replied, "I know perfectly well that I can buy a CD and put it on my iPod. But I also know if I can get music without buying it, I'm going to do so.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_Studios,_Inc._v._Grokster,_Ltd.#The_Court.27s_decision

No comments:

Post a Comment